When Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash passed, they left behind what John Carter Cash, their son describes as a “monstrous amassment” of things, including a treasure trove of undiscovered material that includes Johnny Cash’s handwritten letters, poems and documents, penned across the entirety of his life.
Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release Johnny Cash: Forever Words–a collaborative album consisting of songs created from Johnny Cash’s unknown poetry, lyrics, and letters set to music by an astounding array of contemporary artists–on Friday, April 6. Many of the songs on Johnny Cash: Forever Words were directly inspired by material in the book while others are drawn from different sources of Cash’s unpublished writings.
The tone of the album is established with the opening track “Forever/I Still Miss Someone” featuring Kris Kristofferson reciting the last poem Cash ever wrote alongside guitar accompaniment from Willie Nelson, both lifelong friends of Johnny. Continuing the close-to-home theme, the music then transitions to the deeply personal “To June This Morning,” a letter Johnny wrote to his wife, June Carter Cash, now interpreted by real-life couple Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves.
Twenty-one years after Johnny Cash recorded his cover of Soundgarden’s “Rusty Cage” for his Grammy Award winning album, Unchained, Chris Cornell continues this special relationship with “You Never Knew My Mind,” setting some of Cash’s own poignant and introspective words to original music on one of Cornell’s last solo recordings.
This project sounds so cool!
Pre-order the album now at: https://JohnnyCash.lnk.to/
Johnny Cash: Forever Words
- Forever/I Still Miss Someone – Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
- To June This Morning – Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
- Gold All Over the Ground – Brad Paisley
- You Never Knew My Mind – Chris Cornell
- The Captain’s Daughter – Alison Krauss and Union Station
- Jellico Coal Man – T. Bone Burnett
- The Walking Wounded – Rosanne Cash
- Them Double Blues – John Mellencamp
- Body on Body – Jewel
- I’ll Still Love You – Elvis Costello
- June’s Sundown – Carlene Carter
- He Bore It All – Daily and Vincent
- Chinky Pin Hill – I’m With Her
- Goin’, Goin’, Gone – Robert Glasper featuring Ro James, and Anu Sun
- What Would I Dreamer Do? – The Jayhawks
- Spirit Rider – Jamey Johnson